Saturday, January 18, 2014

Bye bye shampoo?

I've been  getting into the earthy-crunchy natural lifestyle since living in Baltimore where I learned how to cook, upped my vegetarian game to veganism, learned how to make my own hand soap, and suffered through some pretty terrible natural homemade detergent and household cleaning products. Since my time there, I've kept my passion for learning more about our impact on the world and trying to be more compassionately and environmentally conscientious.

I've been wanting to give up shampoo and conditioner entirely for a few years now, basically as soon as I learned that after a few weeks/ months of greasy transition, your hair bounces back and doesn't require either anymore.

Why, you ask?

There are lots of harsh chemicals and substances in shampoo. My hair and scalp has always reacted really poorly to most products. After using a product so many times it starts to make my hair greasy immediately after washing, no matter how fancy or acclaimed. We strip away all the good oils and natural junk in our hair with shampoo and then try and put it back with conditioner and end up adding a lot of additives that we don't want, that end up hurting our hair. Healthier and more beautiful hair (as advertised.) Lessening my environmental impact. Not needing to find and buy products in Africa. Lastly, my hair has recently gone through a dramatic change and has become much harder to balance product use, keep healthy, moisturized, clean, and reacts worse to shampoos and conditioners after a few washes, than ever before. Lots of reasons.

My goal is to not use anything in my hair but water. I've met two people who are bad asses wash this way, both with great hair that looks and smells clean.

The reality of the situation is that I hate greasy hair MORE THAN ANYTHING. Okay, that's a tad melodramatic, but I hate it very much. It makes me itchy, break out, feel unclean and unattractive, and just uncomfortable in general. I don't think I can go through weeks of not washing my severely greasy hair to reach my intended outcome. Instead, I'm going to try the natural method that I've heard and read lots about. (Then hopefully ween off of this combination to shampoo free city!)

(diluted) Baking soda wash, (diluted) apple vinegar rinse.

I tired tonight for the first time and I'm not sure I got it quite right..

The "baking soda paste" was more of a water mix of grit that felt like salt water in my hair. It was strange not to be able to lather, and fully work it in. After rinsing the roots of my hair felt like gummy and I didn't think I'd ever be able to untangle them.

I used a white vinegar and water mix instead of apple cider vinegar (while praying to the vinegar gods that this won't make my hair fall out.) I ended pouring most of this on my face instead of my hair, which wasn't entirely pleasant or the desired outcome. After rinsing, I wasn't sure it was going to do much to detangle the beastly tangles I've come to know and love.

To be fair, I don't think I let the formulas sit long enough, I used bowls instead of squeeze bottles, and the wrong type of vinegar, so frankly, this could be a shit show.

I'm excited to see what my hair looks and smells like tomorrow morning when I wake up and its dry. Most people who use this method say that their hair is a little greasy to start with, but that the baking soda eventually does wonders.

I know you're on the edge of your seat with anticipation.. but alas, the story will pick up again tomorrow!

Wish me luck in my natural adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment