Sunday, January 5, 2014

Beauty unexpected.

Sometimes when thinking of Africa its easy to get caught up in an American, first world frenzy and put my armor on.

It's hot.
Its people are dying.
They're poor.
I am small and I don't know anything, what will this whole deal end up meaning? 
And, as my mom constantly reminds me--there are some serious predators out there, animal and otherwise.

Then miraculous little reminders, moments in time happen and I'm reminded that I'm looking at an entire continent through the lens of years of oppression, racism, and without any consideration for a cultural understanding different than my own. My realm of experience = good, and all things foreign are inherently wrong. They're not developed, not carefully considered, they're not dignified; there's room for growth and improvement. Why this egoism on my part? What the hell is wrong with me? When did I become this person?

How am I'm forgetting that meaningful, happy, dignified lives are lived in Africa? That I'm looking at a fragment of the whole picture-- and this is carefully by design. My understanding is a context that would make uncle Sam proud--looking at differences and reacting with fear instead of understanding. 


Pure, untouched, non-exploited beauty.
And I wonder who is actually living a more wholly satisfying and dignified life? 

More than that, I wonder if I can give up all my Americanized biases, realized and otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment