Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Warm Heart

Malawi feels like a paradise.

It's weather is spectacular, the flora and fauna are breathtaking, and the people are kind. Although the last few days have been a crazy blur, and lots of work, I feel at peace and rejuvenated just being here.

(Obviously take this all with a grain of salt as my experience has been limited to the airport and short drive to the MIM compound where we are staying, which itself is very westernized and well maintained. I haven't had the full experience.)

Today was my first full day in country. Yesterday started at 2 am EST March 6th when we boarded a shuttle from Philly to JFK. We then waited a few hours for the South African terminal to open, we got through security, and boarded our flight. The 14.5 hour flight was uncomfortable and long, but ultimately not that bad. After not sleeping/ barely sleeping for the past few nights, sleep was most welcomed during both flights.

We landed in South Africa and rushed through customs to make our connection only to experience our first power surge in Africa. Most of the volunteers were through security, but four were left behind. They were unable to get through without electricity  because their bags needed scanned. The delay was so long we feared they would miss our flight. Little did we realize that the power surge would affect our flight so greatly. The volunteers made it in what seemed to be the nick of time, but it turned out to be hours before we would leave the runway. The lack of power screwed up the cargo situation making us leave hours after our flight was supposed to arrive in Malawi.

After sleeping the entire 2.5 hour flight, we reached Malawi groggy, or at least I did. As soon as we got off the plane we saw a large group of Peace Corps staff and volunteers waving with a banner and calling to us. What a beautiful welcome to the Warm Heart of Africa!

Again we walked through customs and then to baggage claim. We waited and waited and waited before accepting that 35% - 40% of our baggage didn't make it from South Africa (due to the power surge conveyer belt issue.) This includes the bag with my medicine and all of my clothes. This was an unfortunate circumstance, but I could only care so much, I WAS IN AFRICA.

I AM IN AFRICA. Gosh, I'm still wondering, is this for real?

We drove to the MIM compound and began with training around 5 pm March 6th. (Malawi time is 7 hours ahead.) The entire endeavor lasted about 19 hours.  We chose our Malaria prophlaxyis, received our, first chichintaes, and ate our first authentic Malawi cuisine. The rest of yesterday is fuzzy and my days are definitely running together.  I can say that in my overly tired state, the first photo I took is of my mosquito net hanging around my bed. It just seemed so damn charming. It was also effective as I had a few guys buzzing around trying to get to me all night.

This morning I woke up more well rested and excited than perhaps I've ever been. Our day started at 7 am and for some, it lasted until 9 pm. We began our day with a Malawian song and dance followed by tea time. The beginning trainings and interviews were all lovely. Everything seems so possible and obtainable. Everyone here is my cheerleader and it's contagious.

After convincing myself all day and previous night that my luggage might  never make it back to me and I might have to part with my Keens, Chacos, and birth control for good, a beautiful little surprise came in the mail. I received my first letter in Malawi. It was totally unexpected and such a completely wonderful surprise. Jessica Turner, an Episcopal volunteer from Baltimore had sent me a card. It was perfect and made me so happy! I just wished she'd left a forwarding address so I could return the favor. Throughout the day I had more shots (typhoid suuucks) bonded with some other volunteers, received my first allowance of kwacha, and just generally enjoyed my surroundings. Later in the day, after coming to peace with losing a bunch of material possessions, my second surprise came in the form if my missing luggage. I've never been so damn delighted in my entire life.

Today has been so great and there have been so many affirming moments where it's been clear to me that this is where I belong and that I've made the right choice. I still don't feel very close with any particular volunteer yet, but I'm hoping that will come with time.

It's definitely time for some laundry in the shower and then bed. (This compound has all the amenities!)

I can't wait for tomorrow and to see how much of this optimism fades when we finally leave the compound and experience real Malawian life.

No comments:

Post a Comment