Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Peace Corps Staging Impressions

So, I'm often terrible with gauging first impressions.

But I've got to say, these  Malawi Peace Corps volunteers are some fine, quality human beings. It is always thrilling to be around like-minded, passionate people who give a damn. Already, we've dabbled in critical discussions about development, sustainability, the pain of leaving loved ones behind. We've shared a meal, some joys, and our anxieties.

Ultimately, I think I'll come to find a home and community within them. Though I don't want to get too excited and end up disappointing myself. I'm open to whatever happens, (but I'm not so secretly hoping for life long friends and a really strong community!)

Frankly I'm surprised at the amount of people who are:

Right out of college
Relatively unskilled for service, (like me!)
Not extremely liberal, I was expecting to be on the moderate end of the spectrum. Comparatively, I'm pretty far on the (hippie) liberal side it turns out. Where's the patchwork and the patchouli guys?
Placed in the health field without a health background

The entire day has been unifying for me in ways I've never really understood before. I guess this is the rush that fuels sports fans, or what patriotism feels like? I can imagine those feelings will only get stronger as we rely on each other for support throughout training. It's like I'm already bonded with and feel affection for people who are effectively strangers.

Anywhoo,

Something our staging director said today deeply resonated with me as well as everyone else. "This is the first time you are around people with whom you won't have to justify making this decision." It was like a weight lifted. No more explaining, no more managing expectations and emotions--we are finally here, together, and we all obviously get it! We understand! So maybe I can't capture the moment with words right now, but

God. That felt so good.

It was so good to know we all share similar anxieties and are committed to conquering them together.

Enough about all that sappy stuff.

I've gotten overwhelming amounts of love and support from friends which has been moving and amazing. It's made me feel even stronger and more resolute. Saying goodbye to my family was super hard but ultimately liberating. I feel like I've been inside an emotional and unintentional guilt ridden prison for the last week, because I'm leaving, because that was my decision, and because that's a hard thing for many people. This is not to say they don't support me and that they're not proud of me, they are--they just don't want to see me go. As soon as they left, I finally felt free to be happy about this decision and I just keep feeling better and better about it.

I'm sure I'll turn into Captain Anxiety again soon, just not today. In 2 hours I board a shuttle to take me to a plane, to take me to the next stage of my life!

I'm feeling so good and so strong. I couldn't have hoped to be in a better place right now.

It looks like I probably won't have access to my phone or internet during my 2 month training period, but if I do, I'll make a serious effort to update. I hope you enjoy / are looking forward to stories of latrines, stomach illness, awkward and incompatible attempts at initial conversation, cultural  misunderstandings, little victories, first world blunders, volunteer connections, home sickness, hilarious encounters, weird food, weird bugs, weird smells, and stories of grace, and gratitude.

I love you all. So deeply.

(PS. Download Whatsapp on your phone to text me! It seems like a better bet than Viber!)

No comments:

Post a Comment