Sunday, March 9, 2014

Baboons are worth it

A list of things I wasn't aware that I should fear in Malawi:

Baboon attacks
Getting scratched by a monkey 
Finding worms in my intestines/ stool
Men hiding in corn fields
My malaria meds (possible: lucid dreams, sickness, anxiety, psychosis, depression)
Rabid dog attacks
Sleeping sickness

My list of previous fears which has grown amplified since arriving in country:

Malaria (it's malaria season, we are covered in bites, and our medicine isn't fully effective yet. Fingers crossed!!)

Poisonous snakes:
Black mamba, spitting cobras, puff adder, boomslang etc. all have been encountered by current volunteers in threatening circumstances. All of which I imagine live outside of my future latrine in the dark of night.

As our no nonsense Russian support staff would say, "if you do thees things, you vill die." 

Having said all of this, I'm still psyched to see a baboon.. From a distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment