Sunday, March 2, 2014

Big things are coming our way, baby.

You know those experiences that everyone says are going to just change your life forever? Welp, they say Peace Corps is one of them. You enter into service a normal blue blooded (hippie, activist type) American and exit a global citizen (more aware than ever of greed, material possessions, and exploitation of marginalized communities, etc.)

Its a lot of pressure.
To enter into something with the expectation that you'll come out the other side.. different.

And yes, duh, it will obviously change things. That's the whole point, right?

But, Its a little intimidating knowing the expectations other people have for my experience--and on so many varying levels.

However on the flip side, I can't tell you how many times people have sweetly, and with great intentions told me to, "have fun on my trip!!!" And I feel a slight sting to the ego and a little bit of bruised pride. This isn't a "trip" and I'm not going to "have fun." This is my life, my future for the next 2 years! This is a effort to learn, experience, to serve, and to create positive change. This is so much more than that!!

And there it is folks, great expectations, on both sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment