Monday, April 14, 2014

Pros and Cons

Welp, just like in any healthy functioning relationship, I've decided to scrutinize all the flaws and place all the good stuff on a pedestal in order to create the MALAWIAN PRO CON LIST Ame style:

Neutral:

The overwhelming BO. Holy hell, when I first got off the plane and into the village the concentrated smell of body and lack of deodorant made me literally gag. Now, I don't notice it, really. Not even a little. I haven't really seen anywhere you can buy roll on/ stick deodorant in Malawi yet (this doesn't bode well for my 2 year stay,) but I've also not been able to explore or shop much. I also have the makings for a pretty good natural deodrant. Thank you coconut oil!

Living in a fish bowl. Nothing I do or say goes unnoticed. There was a joke in PST (pre-service training) where our staff would refer to knowing crazy details about our lives from "bush radio." Well my friends, it's no joke. I can go to the market and buy tomatoes and two days later someone I've just met for the first time will mention my market trip and ask how those tomatoes were.  Today a neighbor checked on me because she had heard from someone else I might not have bought enough vegetables. While it is sweet, and helpful that people are looking out for me..  Everything I do is HILARIOUS. From speaking the native language, to washing my clothes, planting a garden, interacting with children-Malawians like to laugh at the azungus for trying to live their lifestyle. The constant watching could easily become annoying and even detrimental at some point. If anyone sees men stay over at my house or sees me drinking, my reputation is shot. But, this could also save my ass-if everyone is looking out for me, they might be willing to save me from snakes, thieves, and village boredom. 

Lack of indoor plumbing, electricity, washing machines, wifi...instant gratification. Yeah, I mean it's not convenient, but it forces me to really focus on and live in every single moment. I appreciate the silences and the processes of every day tasks rather than doing them mechanically and without purpose. It helps me live intentionally and well. It also takes away most of the distractions that I'd made such a big part of my life. It's a beautiful way to live, but it's also intimidating. I have to really spend time with my thoughts and my "self". What if I'm uncomfortable with what I find? 


PROS:

The best fruits. Guavas, pineapples, coconuts, papaya mangoes, oranges, bananas, watermelon, massive avacadoes.. Best of all is this alien looking green fruit that I love called ntopia!

Sleeping under a mosquito net. Yeah, I feel like a princess, or a fetus back in the womb and I dig it. I'm not ashamed at all..like, I reallllly like it. Also it keeps out spiders, mice, snakes, scorpions, and malaria.

The stars, they're incredible. You will never experience stars like I get to see every night. They are so beautiful and crystal clear with no light pollution what so ever. I can see the damn Milky Way!

Free range chickens and eggs. Like actually free range. I asked a Malawian once how they know which chickens are theirs, because they roam free everywhere, all the time. The secret is apparently where they come home to roost. If the chicken is roosting with you, it's yours! 

The kids. They are amazing, and funny and incredible, and transcend all of the usual challenges and complications of interacting with me. Honestly, it's rare when I don't have an army of little iwes attached to my hands and arms, fighting to sit next to me or try to sneakily touch my hair or skin without me noticing...I know guys, it's weird, but the white doesn't rub off, neither does the tattoo. It's part of me.

I am stronger than I thought. In PST there were many times when I questioned whether or not I could do what I was committing to, or truly live the lifestyle this requires of me, but almost every day I challenge myself and am happy with the results. I'm an anxious and scared person by nature, but I refuse to let those things hold me back. I feel confident that I'll fully experience my time here and that I will thrive in Malawi. I am more and more proud of myself for handling new and uncomfortable situations and overcoming my fears.

No one is seeing me naked. I have a wicked sweet tan from my hairline to my cleavage, and mid calf to my toes. The rest of me (or most of me) is BLINDINGLYWHITE. It's jarring. 



CONS:

No one is seeing me naked. This is listed twice for what I assume are obvious reasons. Life is intrinsically less fun when you're the only one seeing yourself naked..especially when it only amounts to solo bucket baths in a grass hut.

Racial profiling. I'm sure this will eventually be it's own blog post, but it's so strange to be on the other side of it. I'm stopped by immigration and police, all the time. There are tons of assumptions made about me every day because I'm a white American in rural Malawi. Mostly, that: I have money, I am married with children, I have come to give people things-books, toys, money..etc, I am well educated, I will teach English, and I'm weak by Malawian standards. It's sometimes funny, but often frustrating.

Some crazy high percent of Malawians are stunted. This is bad for development especially cognitively, but it's bad for me because I'm too tall for everything! My homestay bafa, doorways, our kitchini, the chim... I can't tell you how many times I run my head into my family's thatched roof and am walking around with straw poking out of my hair. Actually I can tell you, and it's at least twice a day.

Disposing of trash. Haven't seen a trash can since I've been here. There are no plants or ways to dispose of trash, so people dig pits in the ground, throw garbage in the pits, or light it on fire. Luckily there is about 90% or higher less processed goods here. Packaging is very minimal comparatively to the US.

The creepy crawlies: scorpions, tarantulas, black mambas, spitting cobras, man eating spiders, roaches, tsetse flies, Mosquitos, termites galore... Also the scary animals- aggressive baboons, hyenas, deadly snakes, rabid dogs.. Bats in my chim..There's also this one really aggressive duck that lives near me. He consistently rapes the lady ducks, and is always honking and bellowing and raising and lowering his mohawk. I call him alpha duck (and secretly in my head, gonorrhea face because, well, I'll post a picture sometime.) Pro- I have geckos in my house which eat a lot of bugs!! And I have yet to see a scorpion in my house. (Knocking on wood as I type.)

Access to...anything.

Malawian roads, and driving. It's terrifying. Minibuses suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment