Saturday, April 5, 2014

Bua

Yesterday was hands down my best day in Malawi.

 It started with waking up at 4:45 and my stomach in knots because I was so anxious about Hitchhiking and trying to barter in a language that I'm struggling with (a language that is often understood but not widely spoken in the Kasungu district). I just felt nervous and sick. It turns out our initial sessions were cancelled, so we had 3 hours of free time, something almost unheard of in PST. Tara and I went and talked with one of the resource volunteers (a current volunteer who comes for a week to help teach us about PC issues, help us navigate the process, and answer questions about serving) about life in northern Malawi. I don't know if I mentioned before but I am learning Chitumbuka, so I know I will be placed in the north and most likely in one of these areas: Rumphi, Mzumzu, or Karonga. (Fingers crossed for Karonga! 3 minute walk from the lake and lots of other volunteers nearby!!)

The resource volunteers are awesome and seriously have enhanced this experience tenfold. They are where I get most of my information. It was especially nice because this volunteer speaks the same language, knows the potential sites where we will be placed, and was just a cool person to talk to in general.

After hanging out and talking, we went to met up with the other volunteers and got our Hitchhiking on. A Peace Corps vehicle took us in pairs (with a language instructor) and dropped us all I'm different places on the side of the road. We then had to flag down a vehicle and jump in if it was headed to Bua- an open market about a half hour away. We had to leave our instructor behind. Emma was my Hitchhiking buddy and we jumped into the back of a pickup truck after bartering a price. Ultimately, it was so much FUN!

The wind was rushing by, the weather was amazing, Emma is ridiculously cool, Malawi is just beautiful... We had a blast!

After some confusion about where we were, and how to get there, we arrived at the market with a bunch of objectives: find out prices of so many objects, barter and ask to lower prices, find a traditional healer and herbal medicines, find the local water source, locate the chim, etc. The challenge for most was to do this in Chichewa, and even more so, for me. finding someone who spoke my language.

 It was super fun. Everyone in Malawi is truly so nice, helpful, and most are really receptive to strangers trying to speak their language. We met some awesome people in the market. Then we had to find our way back to the Kasungu boma (market). Emma and I were determined to hitch and get a free ride this time, but circumstantially, we ended up taking a minibus with a bunch of other volunteers. 

I've heard lots of horror stories about minibuses: being squished, being peed on, breaking down for hours, having breast milk leaked on you.. But other than the conductor telling me he was in love with me and wanted me to be his girlfriend, it was a fun and decent ride. And Emma and I talked down the price! (Okay, Mostly Emma, she gets the credit for that one!)

We got to Kasungu and hung out in the market, went to a few shops, bought a few things, then headed back to our villages in a Peace Corps vehicle. 

The volunteers later just spent some good quality time together-listened to music, and just reminisced until we had to leave. (We aren't allowed to be out after dark, which is generally a bummer.) So I got home, did my usual bucket bath, helped with dinner, played with the baby, hung out with the fam, played cards, went to bed- then a group of volunteers who live in my village showed up at my door! 

Led by an incredibly silly Kevin and his abambo, we marched around, woke up all the other volunteers, until we had everyone (an unusually long process). Then we had a strange little pow wow and went back home.

I don't know, it was a bizarre but incredibly fun day. Everything here  just seems so scary in my head until I actually tackle it- then I realize how attainable it all is. Anyway it's almost 7 am and I feel guilty for staying in my bed so long. Time for chores! 

Hope you are having yourself a beautiful little day!


No comments:

Post a Comment